Fortunately, there is a lot a citizen can do -- and it is worth doing. Politicians in many of the 11 Florida charter counties that approved term limits tried to wiggle free of their limits using lawyers and obfuscation. But citizens rallied around their law and in every county except Pinellas (so far) they have been successful.
Here's how you can help:
- Firmly but politely ask each commissioner to respect the law and resign. You can send an email to all four scofflaws (Latvala, Morroni, Seel and Welch) here.
- Urge Supervisor of Elections Deborah Clark to do her job and refuse to accept applications for reelection by term-limited candidates. Her office's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Educate the public by downloading, copying and distributing these palm flyers (pictured above) that tell the Pinellas term limits story in a nutshell.If the newspapers aren't telling the story yet, it is up to us.
- Send the link around to this blog (http://www.pinellastl.com/) and ask your family and friends to participate in the poll (upper right-hand corner of page).
- Educate yourself. Keep up with the latest developments of this case by becoming a friend on the Save Pinellas Facebook page. Also, sign up for email updates from this blog. See the sign up box in the right-hand column of this page, just below the poll.
- Contribute money to pay for the lawsuit demanding compliance with the law. We can either roll over or fight fire with fire. Donations can be made payable and mailed to Save Pinellas, c/o 1028 Peninsula Ave., Tarpon Springs, FL 34689.